Thursday, December 17, 2009

Three Steps to Improving Your VO Audition Technique.

Now that we all seem to be connected via SocNet, everyone is pouring their hearts out online about the frustrating process of auditioning for voiceover work. For years, I used to share the feeling until one day, in 2003, I turned a corner on the whole matter. Since then my Audition Conversion Metric (ACM) has tripled, and I also get way more FIGs (Found-Gigs, where they just called and booked without any audition) than I used to.

What happened on that fateful summer day in 2003? I made these three changes of attitude:

1) I decided that NONE of this business is about me!

Instead, I began to look at myself as a highly-trained professional capable of doing whatever it is the producer or writer is asking without balking, flinching, wincing, or whining. In the case of auditions, the written direction and the direction from your agent(or room producer), are the only things you have to go by and you must trust them completely.


2) I treat each audition as seriously as I treat a regular VO job.

I discovered that it helps dramatically if you can get as much "back story" about the company: their market share, their quarterly earnings, their product/service pipeline, their weaknesses, strengths, competition, and so forth, as possible.

Then, do your best to distill that data into a nice thesis by which you can translate the direction provided by the writer. Everything you can learn will ultimately help you be the race-horse that can win it for the company and help them achieve their ad campaign objectives. This approach is very powerful, and it can be heard and felt in your audition performance.


3) Do not, under any circumstances, look back at the audition once it leaves your lips or your studio.

Stop wondering or worrying about whether you'll get the job. The old adage here is really very true: A watched pot never boils. Simply put, you approached the audition with selfless confidence, an abundance of knowledge, and an ever-improving skillset, and you did the absolute best job you could do. Now, forget about it, and move on to the next audition.

I truly believe that if you shed the typical ironic duality of narcissism/insecurity we as actors seem to drag around with us, you will discover who you really are behind the mic. It will shine through, and your ACM and FIG numbers will climb sky-high.

10 comments:

  1. Gee, Dick, I'm surprised nobody reacted to this. Maybe it's because it's motherhood... but it's surely my headset.

    Keep the lid on the cities.. I've got friends there!

    (and my all time favorite Thai restaurant, outside of Asia.)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these comments, Dick. I think each point really is a valuable consideration. Thanks for this blog post!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick,
    Thanks for the superior insight about "letting go" of the auditions. We've all been told that at least once in our acting careers, but it's refreshing to hear it again from a true VO veteran. I've admired your work for many years, keep your "stream of consciousness" flowing!

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an agent for talent seeking voiceover work, I pass this on regularly to those of my clients who obsess over what cannot be changed - the past. It's especially resonant coming from someone with such a great pedigree in the industry. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all! It's heart-warming to see this little post is finally getting some hits. With the VO universe (pun intended!) expanding to display a myriad of new galaxies, a review of the "less-is-more" fundamentals seems most appropriate.

    @Jim - Where's that Thai place? It's nine in the morning and you got me t'inkin' about dinner already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Dick,
    I was pointed here via Erik Sheppard on FaceBook. I don't know you, but what you're writing here to me seems to be the sort of thing that one would figure out after about 3 months in the business.

    I was amazed at how one high profile and alledgedly successful voice talent in our industry has blogged and posted over and over again how his agents suck and the clients suck and basically it seems that he works his ass off, but none of it comes from auditioning.

    Apparently he's not alone in this brave new world where voice actors hold the clients in contempt and think that they have to watermark auditions and that their agents also want to rip them off.

    It just doesn't make any sense to me.Am i not just old school, but little red school house? I LOVE to audition. I live to audition. I need me another 5 agents so I can audition anoter 3 hours a day.

    I love the fact that on one of my current SAG national spots, I was told I beat out a bunch of top L.A. actors. they even menioned some of the names and it was a who's who.

    I hear people complain about the VoiceBank auditions and how thousands of people audition. I booked 4 gigs through voicebank last year that I know of, including a nice little stint as the Chevy spokesperson for Texas. Remember that audition anyone.

    Doing what you love often goes hand in hand with learning to love what you do.

    I'm very glad you're embracing the process Dick and continued success to you.

    I will leave you with this bit of advice I have been sharing with fellow actors for over 20 years. "Never judge the copy and never judge the client". "It is your job to find out what is brilliant about the copy. Failure to do so almost always means you don't get the gig."

    If I can ever be of help with anything, let me know.

    --j.s.gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice and great to hear from you Dick!
    All my best to you and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dick,
    It all seems so simple doesn't it? However what is lost on the talent is that we are just that... talent. It is our job to create the scene through our experience and acting abilities. Auditions are subjective to say the least. You never know why you either got the gig, or were passed over. It is up to us as talent to take it all in stride and give our best read. As J.S. said... I love to audition! With each audition comes the hope that I will land the job. If I don't land the job, well, there is always another shot with another audition. My goal is to learn from each audition that I either get or get passed over.

    Thank you for taking time to put your experience out there for all to see, I take your words to heart, and hope to remember them in my next audition!

    (I too found this through Erik Sheppard)

    All the best, Zak

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific advice. Bullseye.

    David Sigmon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, fellas! Thanks a bunch for weighing in on this subject. Let's keep the attitude bar raised high, thus maintaining the pro standard our buyers expect and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete